UNIVERSITY OF PRIMORSKA
Titov trg 4, 6000 Koper
+386 5 6117500
+386 5 6227530
The University is making every effort to become a centre of excellence in knowledge formation and transmission.
Description of the company
The University is making every effort to become a centre of excellence in knowledge formation and transmission. It aspires to creatively contribute to advances of knowledge-based society. This aspiration is founded on the following values:
These values carry the strategic goals for the future:
- to become a constitutive part of the national structure of knowledge with excellence in learning and teaching;
- to become a referential university for the Mediterranean geographical area and South Eastern Europe;
- to establish an effective model of asymmetrically integrated university;
- to become an excellent research institution;
- to become a recognized factor in local development;
- to become a recognized university in Slovenia, the Mediterranean and broader environment;
- to achieve the material standards, comparable
- to University of Ljubljana and to University of Maribor.
- The University of Primorska’s quest for excellence requires:
- development of education for economy and local community projects;
- development of shared or interdisciplinary postgraduate programmes in addition to disciplinary oriented specialist and master’s programmes;
- development of special study- and research-oriented units or Centres within the University’s Postgraduate School;
- development of the central University library;
- development of scientific journal(s) and University publishing house;
- development of student and academic mobility as well as e-studies;
- development of the University Centre for International Cooperation;
- formation of Quality Monitoring Board of UP in 2009 for monitoring the quality of study and education processes and their accordance with the ascertained markers of quality.
Therefore, the UP adopted a series of legal acts, regulating the study field in the academic year 2007/08:
- Students with Special Needs of UP Rule;
- Execution of Student Surveys of UP Rule;
- Erasmus Mobility Rule of UP;
- Scholarship Fund of UP Rule;
- Preparation and Defense of Doctoral
- Dissertation Amendment Rule;
- Guidelines for Implementation of Study
- Programmes in Foreign Languages;
- Guidelines for Reforming Study Progammes and for the Procedure of Forwarding Information on Adjustments of Study Programmes Implementation;
- Guidelines for Part-time Study Implementation at UP;
- Guidelines of UP for Courses with Consultations;
- Guidelines for Preparation and Implementation Procedures of Study Programmes, Formed and/or Implemented by Different Members of UP;
- Guidelines of UP for Preparation of Shared Study Programmes with International and Local Universities;
- Guidelines for Procedures of Discussion and Adoption of Study Programmes at UP;
- Guidelines for Procedures of Discussion and Adoption of Study Programmes at UP Amendment Rule.
University of Primorska has drastically enhanced the effectiveness of study programmes implementation and has for that reason established a special permanent working body of the Senate. Detection of certain irregularities in application and enrolment procedures as well as in procedures of switching between study programmes represents another motivation for this decision.
How Bologna Process is being implemented at University of Primorska
All members of UP will start the academic year 2009/10 with reformed and new Bologna programmes in all three cycles of higher education. Higher Education Act determined that the process of Bologna reform should be finalized by academic year 2009/10. The Council for Higher Education of the Republic of Slovenia has confirmed 45 University of Primorska’s Bologna programmes up until 2008. At University of Primorska we began implementation of the following study programmes in academic year 2008/09:
- academic study programme (1st cycle) Media Studies (UP Faculty of Humanities Koper),
- academic study programme (1st cycle) Mediterranean Agriculture and Biodiversity (UP FAMNIT),
- master study programme (2nd cycle) Nursing Care (UP College of Health Care Izola).
The transformation of Turistica – College of Tourism into Faculty of Tourism Studies Portorož – Turistica.
In the forthcoming years the University will aspire to extend its educational activities in the subject areas of technical programmes
and natural sciences, especially in renewable energy, materials and healthcare. For that reason new programmes from the subject area of natural sciences are in the process of accreditation, such as Civil Engineering and Urbanism and Mechatronic and Adaptronic Systems and Technologies. The two programmes will be available in the academic year 2009/10. Resolutions on founding a new Faculty of Urbanism and Civil Engineering as well as the University Library have already been adopted. A series of interdisciplinary study programmes, which involve virtually all members of the University, are in preparation. The planned interdisciplinary programmes are:
- Management of Sustainable Development (2nd cycle),
- Cross Cultural Studies (2nd cycle),
- International Studies (2nd cycle),
- Management of Heritage in Tourism (1st, 2nd and 3rd cycle),
- Mechatronic and Adaptronic Systems and Technologies (1st and 2nd cycle).